Auto Number for CRM2013 Release Notes
Thank you for downloading and installing our Auto Number solution.
This configuration page is for the Gap Consulting Auto Number solution v22.214.171.124, released on 16th October 2013.
Version v126.96.36.199 marks the latest official Release-To-Web (RTW) for Auto Number for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013.
Gap Consulting Ltd would like to thank all customers which downloaded, tested, and provided feedback during the BETA phase testing of this product.
There are no known issues for this release.
Here is the current version and release history of Auto Number;
v188.8.131.52 – RTW (16th October 2013)
· Upgraded and re-worked to be compatible with CRM2013.
v184.108.40.206 – RTW (20th June 2013)
· Improved performance in the time taken to execute the auto number plugin logic.
· This makes the generation of a duplicate number virtually impossible.
· Added code to Created Auto Number definition records for existing environment where Auto number is already installed.
· Added Create/Delete/SetstateDeynamicEntity Steps in the AutoNumberDefinitionValidation plugin to manage the Auto Number definition Index.
· Plugin Execution mode has been changed to pre operation.
. Removed Plugin Step like Qualify Lead as it was no longer required.
· Removed interface parameters which were no longer required.
v220.127.116.11 – RTW (05th April 2013)
· Improved performance in the time taken to execute the auto number plugin logic.
v18.104.22.168 – RTW (05th December 2012)
· Fixed issue: “Interface record Auto Number Definition Validation does not exist in CRM.”
v22.214.171.124 – RTW (27th July 2012)
· Fixed issue: when creating a sales order from a quote using the 'Create Order' button on the quote form, if Auto Number was configured for the sales order entity an Auto Number would not be generated. This is now resolved, and an Auto Number will be generated in this scenario.
· Fixed issue: when creating an invoice from a sales order using the 'Create Invoice' button on the Sales Order form, if Auto Number was configured for the invoice entity an Auto Number would not be generated. This is now resolved, and an Auto Number will be generated in this scenario.
· Fixed issue: when creating a service activity, if the 'Schedule' button was clicked prior to the service activity being saved, if Auto Number was configured for the service activity entity an Auto Number would not be generated. This is now resolved, and an Auto Number will be generated in this scenario.
NOTE: After importing this latest release any existing Auto Number definitions on the Service Activity, Sales Order, and Invoice entities will be upgraded to apply the above fixes. If for some reason this behaviour is not observed, please delete and re-create the Auto Number definitions on these entities.
v126.96.36.199 – RTW (10th March 2012)
· Fixed issue: sitemap configuration caused further errors to appear in sitemap, this latest release should no longer generate application log errors related to sitemap.
· Fixed issue: when converting a lead to an Account, Contact, or Opportunity, if Auto Number was configured for these entities an Auto Number would not be generated. This is now resolved, and an Auto Number will be generated in this scenario.
· Enhancement: minor cosmetic improvements including new Auto Number icon.
· Document: updates to this documentation.
v188.8.131.52 – RTW (10th August 2011)
· Fixed issue: sitemap XML error caused events to be raised in the application log, issue now resolved.
· Fixed issue: upgrade of the managed solution failed from previous version due to a Microsoft defect related to charts in the interface job, issue now resolved.
v184.108.40.206 – RTW (22nd July 2011)
· Fixed issue: imagine the scenario: you try to save an Account record which has an email address field populated and when you save the record you receive a Business Process error and SQL Generic Error. This issue has been resolved.
· Fixed issue: imagine the scenario: you add a new field to the Letter entity to store your Auto Number, when you save the record you receive a Business Process error. This issue has been resolved.
v220.127.116.11 – BETA (10th May 2011)
· Initial release
Why do I get some random characters appearing instead of my Auto Number?
By default, the Auto Number solution runs in trial mode. Please see the Trial Mode section in this document for more information.
Why is my field not updated with an Auto Number?
When you installed Auto Number, did you select the option to Activate Processes? If not, please remove and re-install Auto Number and select this option.
If you have installed Auto Number, and your field is still not updated with an Auto Number please check the following. If you have placed your field on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013form, and made it business required, then please see the “Field not updated with an Auto Number” section in this document for more information.
What does the solution cost?
Please visit our website at www.gapconsulting.co.uk for information on obtaining a licence for your Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 Organisation.
How many environments does the Auto Number licence cover?
You require 1 licence for your Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 Organisation, regardless of how many environments you have for that CRM 2013 Organisation.
For example, if you move your Development Organisation through a System Test, UAT, and Live environment, then you still only need 1 licence. If you have two different Organisations, running different solutions then you would require 2 licences.
Does Auto Number work with Microsoft Dynamics CRM Outlook in Offline Mode?
The solution does not execute whilst offline, however when Microsoft Dynamics CRM synchronises whilst going back online the auto number process will run against new records.
Does Auto Number work with Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 on-premise and with CRMOnline?
The solution is fully compatible with the latest CRM2013 on-premise rollup and CRMOnline.
Does Auto Number guarantee to avoid duplicate numbers?
Gap Consulting have developed a unique locking mechanism to reduce the risk of duplicate numbers occurring, however under some scenarios there is a chance a duplicate number could be generated. Please see the Auto Number Duplicates section in this document for more information.
By default this solution runs in trial mode. Whilst running in Trial Mode, approximately 1 in every 10 Auto Number requests will generate just random text. Trial Mode can be removed by applying a license key for your CRM Organisation.
On-Premise or Partner Hosted
You must have the following prerequisites installed before installing the Auto Number for Microsoft Dynamics CRM On-Premise or Partner Hosted;
A fully working installation of Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013
You must have the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Sandbox server role installed
A System Administrator security role for your Organisation
You must have the following prerequisites installed before installing the Auto Number for Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online;
· An active Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online subscription
· A System Administrator security role for your Organisation
Please use these steps to install Auto Number v18.104.22.168 RTW.
Step 1: Navigate to Settings > Solutions, and import the v22.214.171.124 Auto Number solution
Note: During import ensure you select the Activate Processes tick box
Step 2: Once imported, click on Publish All Customizations. Refresh your browser.
Although an upgraded (v5.x) Auto Number solution will continue to function, the CRM 2013 version requires any old version of Auto Number to be uninstalled prior to importing the solution. Ensure you note the details of your existing auto number definitions including the next number so that after installing the new version, the new definitions can be created correctly.
Step 1: View each Auto Number definition and note the pertinent details.
Step 2: Delete all Auto Number definition records.
Step 3: Delete the old Auto Number solution (this will uninstall all components included in the solution).
Step 4: Click 'Publish All'.
Step 5: Import the new CRM2013 version of Auto Number
Step 6: Click 'Publish All'.
Step 7: Re-create your auto number definition records.
Requesting a Licence Key
To request a licence key for your Auto Number solution please follow these steps;
Step 1: Navigate to the customisations area of CRM. Click on Customisations.
Step 2: Click on Developer Resources
Step 3: Copy & paste the Organisation Unique Name send a licence key request to
Installing a Licence Key
To install a licence key for your Auto Number solution please follow these steps;
Step 1: Navigate to Settings > Interfaces
Step 2: Open the Auto Number Generation interface
Step 3: Double click to open the Licence Key interface parameter record
Step 4: Copy and paste your licence key into the value field to replace the “Trial Version” value
Step 5: Save and close the Interface Parameter. Auto Number will now operate in licenced mode.
To remove Auto Number please perform the following two steps. The steps apply to all current releases of Auto Number.
Step 1: Navigate to the Auto Number Definition area in Settings. Click on each Auto Number Definition and press the delete key to remove this record.
Note: make a note of your Auto Number Definition configuration and the next number due, if you are upgrading to the latest version.
Step 2: Navigate to the Solution area in Settings. Click on Auto Number, click delete, and follow the instructions.
The Gap Consulting Auto Number Solution can be used against any customisable entity and field including custom entities and fields.
It is a requirement of Auto Number to store the result into a field of type String. Ensure you either create a new custom field, or identify a standard Microsoft Dynamics CRM field for storing your Auto Number.
Creating a new Auto Number
To create a new Auto Number following these steps;
1) Navigate to the Auto Number Definition, and click new
2) Enter a name for the Auto Number
3) Select and Entity and Field to store the Auto Number result
4) Enter the starting number, increment value, and any prefix or suffix requirements
5) Save and close the Auto Number Definition record
Your setup is complete; now test your new Auto Number in Microsoft Dynamics CRM by creating a new record.
There is a security role available within the Auto Number Solution called “Auto Number Generation (for All Users)”. This security role must be given to all users who require the ability to generate Auto Number when creating new records. Alternatively, ensure the same privileges contained within the 'Auto Number Generation (for All Users)' security role are added to your existing security roles.
Field not updated with an Auto Number
You can either use existing fields in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013, or you can create new fields of type string or integer. If your field is displayed on a Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 form for the end users to see, you must ensure the field is not business required.
The Auto Number solution has been designed to “do no harm” to existing data. When you create an Auto Number Definition there is a logic check built into the solution which checks, when creating an Auto Number, for the presence of data existing in the target field.
When the user clicks on a new record, they are forced to enter data into this field. When Auto Number launches, it detects the presence of data in the field, and therefore does not update it.
To avoid this scenario it is recommend to add your field to the form, ensure it is not required, and make the field read only to avoid users changing the value once created.
How to enable logging
Auto Number for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 provides two levels of runtime logging, Event Logging and Trace Logging. Please note, for Live operation logging should always be disabled.
If you require support, you could be asked to enable to enable logging for Auto Number which is based on the following steps;
Step 1: Navigate to Settlings > Interfaces
Step 2: Open the Auto Number Generation interface (or the interface required)
Step 3: In the Interface Options & Parameters section click to enable the logging type required, save and close.
Step 4: Run Auto Number by creating a new record which is configured with an Auto Number Definition record.
Step 5: Open the interface record again. You should now see a new Interface Job record. Double click to open the Interface Job Record for detailing logging information.
Importing Large Datasets
There is a processing overhead each time an Auto Number is generated. Therefore if you are importing large amounts of data, using Auto Number may reduce the performance of the data load when compared to not using Auto Number. If the elapsed time of your data load is not important you can leave the default settings in place, and import your data as required.
If you are importing large volumes of data, and require a fast import time, it is recommended to disable Auto Number and generate your Auto Number requirements in your source data. Once all data is imported then enable your Auto Number requirement for day to day operational use.
Target String Length
During the creation of an Auto Number Definition record the Auto Number solution will validate the length of the target field. The validation process will take your Auto Number Definition of Prefix + Number + Suffix and add a tolerance value of 5 characters for growth. If the length of the target field is too small Auto Number will alert you.
You can resolve this by increasing the size of your string field which will store the Auto Number.
Duplicate Detection for Auto Number Definition records
Auto Number supports the creation of an Auto Number for a specified entity and field combination. To avoid configuration error it is recommended you manually create a duplicate detection rule, to run against the Auto Number Definition entity based on the match code of the Entity and Field lookup values. Once published, if an administrator accidentally tries to re-use an Entity and Field combination which is already in use then standard Microsoft Dynamics CRM will alert the administrator to the error.
If you require support for our Auto Number for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 product please send an email to .
Auto Number Duplicates
Gap Consulting have developed a unique locking mechanism to reduce the risk of duplicate numbers occurring, however under some scenarios there is a chance a duplicate number could be generated. If you experience duplicate numbers in your environment, there are some interface parameters available that you can change to modify the behaviour of Auto Number.
To change the behaviour of Auto Number navigate to Settings > Interfaces and then open the Auto Number Generation interface. There are two Interface Parameters called “Record Control Sleep Time Minimum” and “Record Control Sleep Time Maximum”. These parameters are intended to be customer configurable. The interface parameters provide you with a configurable option to optimise the performance of Auto Number whilst balancing the risk of a duplicate number occurring.
If you have a small number of users, a one or two server deployment, and low volume of data imports you can leave the default settings for Auto Number at “Record Control Sleep Time Minimum=300” and “Record Control Sleep Time Maximum=600”.
If you experience duplicates, or have a large number of users, multiple server deployment, and run regular data imports you should modify the default settings for Auto Number, for example, “Record Control Sleep Time Minimum=600” and “Record Control Sleep Time Maximum=1200”. You should test, and fine tune these values for your environment. Please note these settings will impact the performance of Auto Number, but will further reduce the risk of a duplicate number occurring.